Brushable Gelcoat is a specially formulated product that is made to be applied like paint and eliminate the need for spray equipment. It has excellent leveling, Water/Osmosis resistance, UV light Stability, great Gloss Retention and a fantastic long-term durability and is available in a variety of colors. Here are some tips for successful brushable gelcoat application.
- Don’t add Patch Aid or Sanding Aid (wax). You don’t need to add sanding aid (wax) to Brushable gelcoat to have it dry tack free. The self-leveling technology added doesn’t require any additional products or additives.
- Proper gelcoat application requires you apply your coats about 15-20 mils thick. We offer mil gauge for purchase.
- Allow the gelcoat to cure overnight and then lightly sand it and buff it for an outstanding shine!
- Use Acetone for your cleanup. Just like other Polyester-based products, Acetone is the best cleanup material!
- The most important step: Adding the proper amount of Catalyst. We recommend 1.5%-2% Catalyst ratio. After adding the catalyst, you will want to mix for two minutes, preferably with a mechanical agitator (drill mixer). For your reference, here is the catalyst chart so you know exactly how much catalyst you need.
Here are some helpful tips on how to work with brushable gelcoat, especially during the warmer months.
- Cooling the gelcoat, by refrigerating the product to around 70 degrees, will give you up to 15 minutes of working time.
- Humidity can be another factor, so, make sure the mold and surrounding area is dry before applying your brushable gelcoat.
- Make small batches of gelcoat at a time and catalyze at 1 ½ % to avoid the material from getting hotter. When spraying the gelcoat, make sure you catalyze at 2 %. If you choose to use Duratec, please note, the product must be cool as well.
- If you seek to roll on the gelcoat, the product should be applied evenly at 14 mil thick.
- Do not apply gelcoat in direct sunlight.