Sizes Available: Quart, Gallon
UNCURED GELCOAT PROPERTIES
(All properties based on 1.5% MEKP)
Gel time @ 77°F: 12-16 minute – can be customized to your specifications within parameters required to maintain product integrity (1.5% -2.5% Mekp)
Gel to peak: 12-18 minute
Visc. @77°F (LVF #4 @ 6rpm-cps): 3000 – 6000 cps
Thix index (6/60): .2.0-3.5
Weight per gallon: 9.0 – 11.5 lbs (varies by color)
Stability: 3 months @ 77°F
Hegman grind: 4 minimum
Film cure @ 77°: 60 minutes
Hide @ 15 mils (wet): complete
Sag resistance: .10 - 15 mils
Flash Point: 82-88° F
Typical Film Thickness: 18 ±2 mils.
Catalyst Level (MEKP): 1.5% Minimum - 2.5% Maximum
Thinning: Not Neccesary
Clean Up: Acetone or MEK
Storage: Avoid prolonged exposure at temperatures above 85°F and to direct sunlight. Increased storage temperatures will negatively effect shelf life. Store in a cool place.
Shelf Life: 120 Days when stored under cool, dry conditions.
- White Brushable Gelcoat
- Dusky White Brushable Gel coat
- Misty White Brushable Gelcoat
- Whisper Gray Brushable Gelcoat
- Supreme Black Brushable Gelcoat
Fight Lady Yellow Brushable Gelcoat
- Georgia Brown Brushable Gelcoat
- Sea Foam Green Brushable Gelcoat
- Canary Yellow Brushable Gelcoat
- Sky Blue Brushable Gelcoat
- Harbour Blue Brushable Gelcoat
- Hunter Green Brushable Gelcoat
- Ice Blue Brushable Gelcoat
- Vivid Red Brushable Gelcoat
- Medium Blue Brushable Gelcoat
Gel Coat Preparation
Stir container thoroughly before using. The brushable gel coat must be stirred/agitated preferably with an air-driven mixer or suitable alternative for a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes. Make sure the sides of the container are scrapped into the batch. Agitate prior to mixing in MEKP.
Clean surface with solvent wash. All surfaces must be clean, dry and free from grease, wax, oil, and other foreign matter. All surfaces must be sanded. Do not apply directly over paint.
Brush/ Roll: Ultra Plus Brushable Gelcoat is formulated to be applied like paint. High quality paint brushes and rollers will yield the smoothest surface upon application. Apply in smooth brush strokes yielding a wet film thickness of 10-12 mils (250-300 Microns), which gives it depth to survive considerable water sanding, compounding and repolishing.
Adding the MEKP: Manufacture recommends a catalyst loading of 1.5-2.5% MEKP to the brushable gelcoat and a working surface and brushable gel coat temperature of 77ºF or 25ºC. Apply in smooth brush strokes yielding a wet film thickness of 10-12 mils (250-300 microns). A second coat can be applied if desired after 90 minutes of applying the initial coat. The coating should cure for a minimum of 4 hours before sanding and buffing if desired. Allowing to cure overnight is preferred.
HInts: You are given 2 oz of MEKP with this gallon of brushable gelcoat. Use at least 1.92 ounces as bare minimum of 1.5%, and use up to 3.2 ounces to not exceed the maximum of 2.5%. If you are in cooler weather and want to be on the higher end of the limit you should purchase an additional 2 oz MEKP as an options when buying the Gallon of Gelcoat. Anything in between the range of 1.5-2.5% is acceptable and you should be on the low end of the minimum with warmer temperatures, and on the high end of the range with cooler temperatures.
- Minimum MEKP: Using 1.92 ounces of 2 oz MEKP that is included with this gallon of brushable gelcoat = 1.5% loading of catalyst
- Maximum MEKP: Using 3.2 ounces (2 oz MEKP that is included + 2 ozAddtional MEKP option) with this gallon of brushable gelcoat = 2.5% loading of catalyst
- Topcoat for marine, sanitaryware, recreational vehicles, and other FRP applications. Can also be used as an in mold coating when constructing polyester reinforced fiberglass parts.
- Easy to Use and Apply (Rolls / Brushes on Like Paint)
- Excellent Leveling - Leaving Less Brush Strokes
- Chemical Resistant
- Long Term Durability
- UV Light Stable
- Water / Osmosis Resistance
- For further information on the nature of the review controls, as well as the possibility of contacting the author of the review please consult our GCU.
- No inducements have been provided for these reviews.
- Reviews are published and kept for a period of five years.
- Reviews can not be modified: If a customer wishes to modify their review then they can do so by contacting Verified Reviews directly to remove the existing review and publish an amended one.
- The reasons for deletion of reviews are available here.