If you don’t know what bottom paint is, you are not alone. A boater that keeps his/her boat in the water for an extended period of time, must have bottom paint on the bottom of the hull to prevent growth (fouling) from occurring.
Bottom Paint also called antifouling paint, boat bottom paint, and anti-foul paint, is a special marine paint that is formulated with pesticides to keep those marine critters from growing on the bottom of the hull. Copper is most common pesticide used in bottom paints, and will prevent hard growth. Hard growth is considered mussels, barnacles, or any other crustacean that can attach to the bottom of the boat. Hard growth mostly occurs in warmer water and salt water. However, depending on your geographical location, hard growth will occur in fresh water and nutrient rich cool waters as well.
Some boat bottom paint also combine other pesticides (biocides) with copper to prevent soft growth. Soft growth refers to algae and grass.
What are some of the top performing bottom paints and what is the difference between them?
- Biocop TF Self-Polishing Bottom Paint was developed as an alternative to tin-based antifouling paints to protect against the harshest marine environments.
- Islands 44 TF™ By Sea Hawk Paints is an advanced tin-free self-polishing antifoulant that will keep your hull bottom smooth and free of organic growth over multiple cruising seasons.
- Sea Hawk ColorKote Triple Biocide Antifouling is the next generation hull coating built with Sea Hawk DNA. Incorporating self-polishing, triple biocide, low-leaching chemistry, vibrant colors, and multi-season performance, this is more than an antifouling paint.
- Islands 77 Plus Antifouling Paint is an alternative to tin-based antifouling paints to protect against the harshest marine environments. Using the newest biocide technology.
- Pettit Odyssey is a multi-season antifouling combines controlled polishing ablative technology with a high copper content to provide a paint film strong enough to handle the tough marine environment from coast to coast.
- Interlux Micron Extra provides excellent, long lasting antifouling protection against all types of fouling. Micron Extra includes Biolux, to control slime.
- Micron 66 is a long lasting Self Polishing Copolymer with Biolux® formulated to provide a level of antifouling protection not previously available in any paint.
- Blue Water Marine Copper Shield is a multi-season antifouling protection against barnacles, algae, and hydroids in salt and fresh water on boat bottoms only.
- Aquagard® Waterbased Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint is formulated especially to prevent barnacles, algae, slime and other fouling organisms on vessels immersed in salt, brackish and fresh water. Nontoxic fumes, soap and water clean‐up.
Why do you need bottom paint? If you are going to keep your boat in the water for more than a couple of days, you will need some bottom paint!
What is the difference between Hard Bottom Paint and Ablative Bottom Paint?