What is the best way to achieve maximum adhesion when replacing your boat’s hardware? This How To article will give you the basic knowledge you need to get your repair done correctly.
Note: Before attempting a repair by yourself, get a professional opinion. Always wears Personal Protective Equipment when sanding or working with chemical compounds!
Here are some simple steps to follow when bonding hardware to your boat:
- Sand both the surface and the hardware to get maximum adhesion.
- Wet out the surface with Hawk Epoxy.
- Wait a few minutes for it to soak in.
- Wet out the Hardware base with Hawk Epoxy.
- Mix another batch of Hawk Epoxy with F2 Structural Adhesive Filler.
- Coat the hardware base, screw threads, and surface mount with the epoxy/filler compound.
- Tighten hardware bolts until some epoxy mixture squeezes out.
- Use your finger to fillet the excess mixture around the hardware base for extra strength.
- Before using the hardware, allow the bond to cure overnight.
Hawk Epoxy Video Tutorial
For more information see these other How To Articles: